Saturday, April 01, 2006

April Fool's Day

April 1, 2006
Where does the time go? My grandmother used to tell me how fast time went as you got older. At that time days were interminable, especially during the summer. It was such a free feeling.. like you had eternity to do as you pleased. when summer came to an end it was hard to believe. It seemed like we'd been on vacation forever. Now it seems to me that the kids barely have time to catch their breath and its back to school. I wonder if the time is really shorter, or if the kids themselves feel just like I did 'back then'. I was all ready to go back to school at summer's end.. perhaps things had gotten boring. These days it seems that I go to bed having filled up the day, but when I look at what I did, it seems it ought to have filled but a few minutes. April Fool.....

I love pictures of back lit flowers. The amaryliss are huge.. a good 6" across.. and most are either budded or in bloom. I think God's touch is on this property.. mosquitoes etc are so few on my porch. Last summer I would sit on the back porch and it was cool, breezy and I could sit out until dark and no mosquitoes... However one night as I was feeling overwhelmed with gratitude for His provision of this, a little frog leaped onto my shoulder. That's it !!! I love no mosquitoes, but don't like surprises!! There were always at least two small assorted frogs on the house near the porch light. They are all about 2-3 inches long.. except when they leap on me and then they are at least 6 inches. smile. The little green one is a Florida Tree Frug, and I'm not sure if the mottled one is a Cuban tree frog. Supposedly they get to about 5" long and eat all the other little native frogs and lizards, etc. I have pix of the little tree frogs and 2 Cuban frogs.. supposedly.. squashed together awaiting the night's bounty.

As I look out my window this morning there is a squirrel about a foot away eating an acorn while eyeing me. There is a pink crepe myrtle that now goes over the roof where he loves to sit. They race up this small shrubby tree onto the roof and perform acrobatics with very heavy landings. I caught his eye with my flash.. Last year when we moved in, there were multitudes of squirrels. I was leaving the back door open until I discovered that they were running in and out of the kitchen and eating the dog's food. Apparently they never phased Mikey... no barks, no dish protecting. We did put a screen in the door so the beautiful morning air could come in without the furry creatures. I wouldn't mind them coming in to steal a bit of food, but I was always concerned about one being adventurous and wandering.. getting locked in and waking up in the evening.

The garden remained untouched today. Arms wouldn't have cooperated. It was fairly still and a bit too warm during the middle of the day. Fought headache all day.. probably stress.. Gardens have weeds just as families have problems. when problems get too severe.. childen come to me about their children. I think no one stops to think how far reaching one's actions can be.. So many times we think its just 'our business' and we aren't hurting anyone. Little do we know. Little do they know. I come to the garden alone...

I love some of the plants people have shown on the garden web. Some have names that I've heard for so long but they aren't anything I expected. Firecracker vine is one that I thought had tiny little red flowers.. tubular and flared at the end with spiky foliage. Actually its rather a lush vine with the flower portion looking almost like a rooster tail.. beautiful colors of red and yellow.. tubular and big hummingbird attractor.

Time to do mundane things like finish cleaning the kitchen. Air blowing on my arms makes them hurt.. have to get out the afghan.

2 Comments:

At 4/06/2006 10:07 AM, Blogger Sigruns German Garden said...

Hallo, what a nice squirrel you have! I first must look for the name in the dictionary. Whe have also some, but brown one.
Also we have a lot of birds and slugs and snails!

Sigrun

 
At 8/29/2006 5:28 PM, Blogger Alice said...

Taking a break from moving compost so I'm drinking a glass of water (good girl) and reading another posting from way back.

I agree that the time goes so fast - it always seems to be Friday now that I've retired, and the end of yet another week.

The reason plants often don't look the way you envisaged is because when we use common names for plants they can refer to many different plants. The only reliable way to identify plants is through their botanical name, but I confess that I'm often too lazy to look it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home