Monday, July 17, 2006

Catapillars



July 16, 2006



I bought a cassia which I love for the blossoms. I found out yesterday that sulphur butterflies also love the cassias. Mine has not bloomed for almost two years and I was checking to see what the problem might be and found two big fat cats - one green, the other yellow, along with several small stink bugs. I posted the pictures for ID, kept them on leaves in a container overnight and carefully put them back in the bush this morning. Tonight my thoughts are "What WERE you thinking? " Yes I love to watch butterflies, but I've intentionally only chosen nectar plants instead of larva hosts. I bought that plant because I loved the blossoms. I'm not sure I'm willing to have NO blossoms so that they have one more plant on which to lay eggs. I might take some cuttings and put in a few more plants in another area and move any cats I find to a designated spot. I guess I'm not THAT much of a larva, butterfly hatching enthusiast that I'm willing to give up all the flowers.


Ruella is supposed to be invasive. I love these blooms and so far have found nothing I can't control and even with encouragement, it doesn't s

1 Comments:

At 8/28/2006 7:23 AM, Blogger Alice said...

That's a beautiful flower, and one I haven't heard of. Looks well worth cultivating if you can keep it under control.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home