Thursday, July 27, 2006

Sago Palm



July 27, 2006
I spent another morning cleaning out from underneath the male sago.... Some say you shouldn't cut out the bottom fronds, but after so much damage from the Asian Scale, they look terrible. AND this is our yard and who ought to say whether its okay or not. If they die we won't have to deal with the Asian scale any more. It had such a foothold before we bought the place. The female is quite large, just not as tall as the male. I've discovered that as much as I love nature and natural things, I also like order. I love cottage gardening, but like it a bit more orderly and 'kept up' than when I was younger. A bit of dirt between the plants pleases me also. Lots of green, a bit of color here and there is also great.

We're in the rainy season again with daily deluges. This afternoon's thunderstorm shook the house for a while. Its fun to open the curtains and watch the wild winds exercise the limbs on the big oak out front. Such a surprise not to find one limb broken and on the ground. They said the winds were around 60 mph with higher gusts.. there were only about 5 minutes worth of hail. Hopefully nothing was damaged.

A plumbago planted two years ago is struggling out there.. one lone blossom. Perhaps it deserves digging up, replacement soil and a second chance.

Ambulance next door tonight. We're only hello and over the fence neighbors, but neighbors still feel like family.

2 Comments:

At 8/28/2006 7:21 AM, Blogger Alice said...

I wonder if we are long-separated twins?? I also love cottage gardens but not totally wild ones, although I don't mind scrambling around overgrown nurseries just to see what I can find. Yes, I like a bit of order in the garden. Friends sometimes ask "Wouldn't you like the gardens to be all finished?" or "How would you like 5 acres of manicured gardens?" NO and YES to both questions. I'd like our gardens to be a bit more finished than they are, but not so much that I couldn't find anything to do, and sometimes I'd like them to be tidier than they are, but definitely not manicured. I'd love to have 5 acres, but I'd also need to be 30 years younger.

I could picture you watching the rain and the wild wind tossing the branches. I'd have been right there beside you, although I'd have stepped back had the hailstones started hitting the windows.

I hope your garden didn't suffer too much.

 
At 8/28/2006 7:45 PM, Blogger LindaD said...

We used to have a commercial greenhouse and our customers loved to find what they considered 'hidden treasures'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home