Friday, September 01, 2006

Perspective

August 31, 2006

Sometimes it takes us such a long time to learn about perspective. I used to have a cartoon of an adult looking out at a 'dreary' rainy day with a glum face. The next 3 scenes were of a child out doing cartwheels and relishing the rain. If we would only relish every single moment that comes our way, how much more bliss we would find in our lives. If God orders our lives, then we have to take the rain along with the sun in all things. Its not just a matter of making the best of it, but of really, fully enjoying what's there.


I did go out quickly to take some pictures - sometimes looking through another 'eye' reveals more than our sometimes clouded vision. We've just come through the hottest part of the year in Florida and much gardening has slowed. We can fight against this or understand that even in nature there are times of growth and activity and then times of when the ground ought to 'lay fallow' and be rejuvenated.

Hans and I had spread mulch earlier this year in several places, including around our front oak. I was absolutely surprised and delighted to see these mushrooms/fungus sprouted around the entire bed. It looked like they had been deliberately placed. I have no idea what they are specifically, but I think they ought to have a common name like...fried eggs... or over easy. I went out back later dodging mosquitoes that had proliferated during the past few hot, moist days and thought how I love the wildflower, weed flowers etc. Elderberry was always one of our favorite berries for jellies when we lived in Maine. Friends in Florida had told me there are lots here, but you have to be so careful not to also get 'chiggars' when you pick them. I did encounter them once in Port St Lucie as I attempted to push back the 'yard' line toward the deep woods behind the house.


I love lacy looking flowers such as queen anne's lace, certain hydrangeas... and elderberry blossoms. I can tell when the berries are ready because the birds seem to delight in sitting on my white porch rails and leaving their calling cards.. large purple splotches! Last year the antics of the squirrels were wonderful as they tried to harvest the berries before the birds. The power crews cut down the tall elderberry tree that embraced the power pole next to the fence. I think the tiny branches of the bushes are too flexible to be enticing this year. I've done my best to cut out the elderberry, but I'm finding that its far better at propagating itself than I am in keeping it under control. I'm considering simply allowing a border of it as a back drop for a flower bed along that portion of the fence... If you have lemons, make lemonade.

Inclement weather seems to aggravate all the physical problems that I try to ignore. It makes me laugh when I make my todo list for the day and then find I'm unable to get past the first 2 or 3 minor things. I've learned to take that as opportunity for a miniholiday and do something less taxing like sewing.. decluttering a drawer.. or taking trips through unknown places with pictures and descriptions beautifully written by others and kindly made available for others to enjoy on the internet.

I still need to deal with the sago palm seeds-again. I took them from the original sand starter cups and have put them into potting soil in 3 1/2" pots and some into one large round planter. They now need to be removed from this as its holding entirely too much water. I have some perlite and sand and will mix that with a bit of the potting soil and repot them for better drainage.

Sago Palms have had a terrible time here with the Asian Scale. So many people have simply given up in frustration and thrown them out. Sagos used to be one of the most sought after, expensive plants. I think we started them "because we could."

My grandson Dzvid spent the night last night. He turns 18 this month. Amazing. He has a beard and is so handsome. He has no interest in smoking, drinking.. and is very shy about girls. He says he has plenty of time and right now the love of his life is computers. He's already been offered a job as soon as he graduates, and as a senior, he's completed most of his classes. This year he has only one class left to take - Economics and the rest of the time he's assisting the technical administrator implementing programs and taking care of the computers in the school. He says his goal is to devise programs that will make using a computer easier for more people to use. He spent a great deal of time this summer writing a program to help the schools be able to make changes to all computers at one time, rather than just one at a time. "Grandma" doesn't really understand.. but I love it that he does. He used to teach the teachers how to use their computers when he was in middle school. Very smart boy, very proud grandma.

Last night he was so enthusiastic talking about ways that he thought life could be improved.. talking about government, taxation, access to things. Whether I agree or disagree, as I considered it later, I thought he is what I would call a 'thinker'. I'm not sure but what most young people at least go through a phase of being like that.

Well- I'm going outside since the wind is blowing and we've been graced with temps that are down into the mid eighties.

3 Comments:

At 9/01/2006 8:27 PM, Blogger Alice said...

Your first para about appreciating the rain, etc. brought to mind an incident when my daughter was living in Switzerland. A friend with two small children visited one afternoon. During the afternoon it came on to rain but stopped just before the visitors left. My daughter's two little girls and the visitors children asked if they could go outside for a minute to see the puddles. Mothers said "Yes" and four small children ventured out to look in the puddles. Of course, it wasn't long before they were all happily splashing in the muddy puddles, while my daughter and her friend stood on the balcony and laughed and laughed. Eventually the friend departed, taking two small, wet and muddy children with her. Michelle ran a bath for her girls just as her husband came home from work. He then took over bathing the girls while she went on tidying the house. She overheard her husband say to the girls "You know, you girls are very lucky to have a mother who will let you have so much fun by playing in the puddles."

Years ago, during the Spring, a work colleague came into the office where I worked. She said, "Just look at this weather. I thought it was supposed to be spring time and here it is raining again." Being a girl from the country, and heartily sick of city folk complaining about the weather, I rounded on her and said, "This IS typical spring weather. It's supposed to rain in the spring. If we ever have a spring like you people want, then God help us come summer time." Well, we've now had several years of THAT sort of spring, and we don't like it, although I'm sure there are still many people who think that every sunny day is a good one, even when there are towns with no water, 95% of the State is drought stricken, and farmers are going bankrupt in ever-increasing numbers.

Boy, I do get worked up, don't I?

 
At 9/06/2006 9:07 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

Linda, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. The mushrooms are wonderful. What a picture! Love the colors! I love your positive outlook :)
Our elderberries are ripe. I like to mix their juice with apple juice and make jelly. Yum!
Your grandson sounds like a delightful young man. Our oldest grandson (Corey) started kindergarten today.

 
At 9/07/2006 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've been getting a lot of interesting mushrooms also, since the rain has been coming. They are neat to find and see!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home