Saturday, October 28, 2006

Old Momentos

I think the virus I had a couple of weeks ago returned. I'm determined to be done with it once and for all. Our weather has turned 'perfect' for being outside.. sunny, cool and breezy. The yard is just begging for some sort of attention and up until today the best I could give it was observation from the porch chair. I'd like to say I spent the week doing something constructive, but I don't think sleep qualifies. Now that I'm feeling better, it was hard not to venture out into the yard and at least pull some weeds. Instead I sorted papers and some old photos.

At the worst of the first bout with this virus I woke up thinking.. I need to scribble off some sort of will.. after a couple of days and feeling better, this became quite comical. This second time, I also woke up and made a note that some paintings done by my father in law were to go to our youngest grandson because he thought they were portraits of presidents. Its very humorous to me now that the fever has broken and I don't feel like a truck is parking over me. LOL. I also thought about all the different crafts etc that I've done and still ahve the 'raw materials' and thought how much I'd hate people to have to deal with all of it. Perhaps that's one good thing that's come from this time. I am resolved to eliminate SO much of what I've collected over the years.

What frustrates me most is my body not cooperating with my mind! I can remember my grandmother at 80 years old telling me those exact words. Tomorrow is another day and the most difficult thing will be not to make a todo list so long that I'm worn out writing it.

I went through an old box filled with photos I'd long forgotten. Some were pictures our previous places we'd lived, family and friends from the past. Some were pictures taken by others long before I was born. This particular picture was of a couple named Kotcher. This photo makes me laugh every time I look at it. When I asked my grandmother about it she said that they weren't playing up to the camera, this is just how they were. They came up to my grandparent's summer cottage to pick blueberries every year. I LOVE old pictures. Perhaps someone told people NOT to smile.





Ths second picture is of our two little girls back in 1969 when we lived in Maine. Nothing can replace memories, although some of the new ones are even more wonderful than the old.

We're blessed to live near both of our daughters and their families so we get to see them often. I spent over an hour on the phone tonight with our granddaughter - our first grandchild. I'm always blessed to talk with her. My grandmother was so special to me and its wonderful to also have a grandaughter...

3 Comments:

At 10/29/2006 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snap! I've also had some kind of virus that just keeps on coming back everytime I think I'm better. But never mind I suppose it's just that time of year. Love your old photographs, that one of the couple is amazing almost surreal and of course your daughter is delightful. Hope you feel better soon.

 
At 10/29/2006 5:32 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Hi, Linda A., thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comments. I have bookmarked your site and will visit again to read your posts.

I'm sorry you have been down with a virus. Last year, around this time, I came down with mycoplasma pneumonia and couldn't shake it for four months. What a lousy fall and early winter I had, so I know how you feel.

It's great that you live so close to your children and grandchildren. My daughter lives 70 miles away and it's getting more difficult seeing them as often as we would wish to. Our granddaughters are 5 and 2-1/2, and another on the way. Our son, who is married and lives in San Diego, has no children yet.

I love old photos also. One of the things I dread is leaving behind masses of photos that are not marked as to who the people are and my heirs will not cherish these photos. I have started putting stickers on the backs of these snaps with the vital info on them just in case. Yeah, I know how you feel about thinking about all the things we would leave behind for others to take care of when we pass.

Come back and see me any old time. You're always welcome.

 
At 11/07/2006 6:37 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

I always try to get some sorting out done during the cold months, especially photos. It's a long, but interesting job.
Oh poor you getting a second bout of that nasty virus. I've had those same thoughts about leaving so much stuff behind to be sorted out. Not pleasant thoughts!
Funny photo of the Kotchers :) Very sweet of your daughters. What a blessing to live close to them and to have lovely long phone conversations with your granddaughter. We'll be traveling to our 5 yr. old G.son's birthday party this coming weekend. Can't wait to see the kids :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home