Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Squirrel Haven

Squirrels and/or rats have become SO annoying. If they could sleep when we sleep, and simply enjoy the shelter under the house rather than reconstructing the existing framework, perhaps they could stay. Since they work at night and sound like far more demolition than construction, they have to go!



When we first moved here the oak tree outside the side door was filled with families of rambunctious squirrels. We think that the previous owners were feeding them and encouraging them. At one time we found that with the back door open, they were running in and out and shopping at the dog's dish.

This year we saw very few racing up and down the trees... only a few. Last year we heard one rearranging something under the bathtub in our room.. gnawing to be exact. We finally put a container of D Con under the house. As much as I hate to use things like that, I was imagining that they were undermining the bathtub. It seemed to have solved the problem.

This year we heard more demolition under the bathtub... which soon moved to somewhere under the kitchen... then on to a corner of our bedroom floor, the other bath hallway, and last night under the window next to MY side of the bed. Today's the day. We're going to put out some special feed for them. I love how cute they are and watching babies chase up and around the trees is great fun. However:

Last year we had to have the cable company come out 4 times and the telephone company a few times since they were also rearranging and eating the wires supplying telephone and internet connections to our house. At one time they apparently took out the entire neighborhood's Internet Cable service.

Some neighbors feed them. I'm not sure if we'd been feeding them if they would have left the house alone or not. Nor are we positive its squirrels and not rats looking for a wonderfully warm winter home. One of our neighbors has 4 dogs in a small yard way out back. My husband thinks all the dog food and other by products may be calling rats.

They are also now working on clearing and leveling about 40 acres plus not far west of us. East of us they have just finished preparing a site for another new high school. Perhaps all that activity has pushed the wildlife a bit closer to us. One morning I saw a coyote between our road and the new school site. Each morning when the dog goes out, he's extremely interested in smelling each inch of the porch. I can only imagine what has been visiting during the night. There are armadillos all around, but I haven't seen any in our yard. We put in a ramp for the dog to go directly from the porch into the fenced yard. I need to put up a sign.. Mikey only...

I'm picturing cartoons of haggard looking people trying vainly to outwit squirrels etc. I still love watching their antics.

9 Comments:

At 10/31/2006 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, squirrels/rats can become a nuisance. I had so many squirrels to contend with when my garden was in a more urban setting. Trees, plants, potted plants, the fence, etc were all damaged by squirrels--they are very territorial and some attempted to intimidate me when I would work in the garden. Now that we live in the woods, the squirrels aren't interested in my gardens and our dogs are keeping them away. I don't notice them anymore, but do notice the chipmunks, rabbits, woodchucks, weasels...I like your photos, they bring the positive out of the squirrel. Good luck!

 
At 11/01/2006 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how ghastly, yes they are adorable and so entertaining to watch but boy can they do a lot of damage.

 
At 11/02/2006 10:20 AM, Blogger Sigruns German Garden said...

Very cute, your squirrel!

Sigrun

 
At 11/02/2006 7:47 PM, Blogger LindaD said...

Thanks for 'visiting' - I had no idea squirrels could be such a problem. My husband walked around the perimeter making sure things were 'tight'... and since that night we've heard no more evidence of their....inhabiting.

 
At 11/05/2006 12:09 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

Hi Linda. Can you believe I've only just seen your email that you left on my Flickr account? Thanks for the kind words (and apologies in the delay in getting back to you).

I love your squirrel pictures. They sound as annoying as possums are over here in Australia. I think they look cute - but that's probably only because I'm not near them...

 
At 11/07/2006 6:44 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

Yes, they're pesky and cute at the same time. It's too bad they're so destructive.
How nice it would be if we could have a little chat with them and work out the problems so that we could coexist happily :) I hope you can find an answer to the difficulties.
I love these photos :)

 
At 12/25/2006 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12/25/2006 8:39 PM, Blogger LindaD said...

Hello Anonymous - and you are welcome. I know that most say Dec 25th isn't actually the birthdate of Christ, but if one adofts a child - and that child's birthday is unknown, I would certainly find a day and celebrate the birth of that child. Each day is cause for celebration.

 
At 12/30/2006 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home