Thursday, September 14, 2006

Sandhill Cranes

September 14, 2006

I can remember a time when sighting a sand hill crane was momentous. We would occasionally see one way out on dirt roads in some of the open areas around old lakes in the Berkshires.

Here in Florida the efforts to save them have more than paid off. There are several spots around where you find them every year. One pair has chosen a small triangle of land that floods
in the center at the apex of two extremely busy roads. Apparently they have found it safe enough to return each year and at least spend their days in that spot. I believe that they roost elsewhere.

This first group stays in some pastures and yards on the way to my daughter's. There is a 5 acre minimum for houses and much hasn't been developed yet. They seem to prefer the open places near people.
I think this large group might have been 'extended' family gathering before migrating. It always amazes me that they migrate FROM here.

I was lucky enough this day to find the birds 'dancing'. Amazing to see these large birds leaping and prancing and flying. I think the trio is the parents and one smaller offspring.

I've seen several visiting a low birdfeeder fairly near to where I live. I've wondered if it was intentional, or they just discovered it. What would one feed sand hilll cranes?

There are usually egrets in the company of the cranes. I wonder if the cranes don't stir up a multitude of small bugs for the egrets. Normally you find the egrets with the cattle.. sometimes riding or sleeping on their backs. When the big mowers go along the roadsides they look like the pied piper of egrets as they hurry along to get the best of the newly disturbed bugs.

They must all have roosting places and feeding spots since we hear them about the same time each morning going to their feeding places and then again when they return at night. Almost like listening for the migrating flocks of geese.





























The last 3 pictures were very close to where we used to live, flying it at dawn and not leaving until late in the afternoon.

3 Comments:

At 9/15/2006 11:45 AM, Blogger Alice said...

I just loved these photos. I'm sure I would spend hours watching them if I could. Such big bodies on long, stick-like legs.

Your daughter lives in a beautiful area and is very lucky to be able to see these special birds. I hope they continue to multiply and live safely.

Talking of birds, have you seen the movie 'Travelling Birds' which was released a couple of years ago? It follows the migration of many birds throughout the world, some of whom fly 6000 or more miles per year. If you've not seen it, do try and hire it from your video store. I feel sure you will love it.

 
At 9/16/2006 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see why sighting a sand hill crane is (was!) momentous. You definitely caught the birds dancing in your photos--your photos are fabulous. Egrets are neat birds, too--what a variety of birds you have. It is good news to hear there has been an effort to save them. Wonderful post.

 
At 9/16/2006 11:35 PM, Blogger Sigruns German Garden said...

Linda, thank you for visiting my blog!
The post you search about the woodland garden is on the May 3.
Evi has a lovely garden, but also a lot of work and it is dangerous, to work in her garden.

The photos on your blog are wonderful, you live in an other world as we live!

Sigrun

 

Post a Comment

<< Home