Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Promise

November 8, 2006

The weather has been so enticing lately its hard to stay inside. I remember in New England we felt the same way about spring. We'd had just about all the cold and snow we could handle and on those first mild, promising days in very early spring we could be found out coatless hunting for any promises of spring. Here we are so happy for relief from the summer's heat that temperatures under 75° at night are cause for celebration. Today's high was 73... a little chilly in the shade. Its amazing how our systems are adjusted to the higher range of temperatures.

The first thing I found was this grasshopper perched on top of the grid protecting my tomato and other seedlings. Apparently he died overnight wanting that tomato plant!

I Iwas so excited to find my cassia bush is covered with buds.. hundreds of bright yellow promises for flowers. For the past two years there have been many catepillars of the sulphur butterflies which voraciously devoured all buds and new shoots. This year after the catepillars left I sprayed with a mild solution of soap, vinegar and water to protect the bush against stinkbugs. Apparently it worked. Yellow is such a cheerful color in the yard.. especially next to the shaded fern section.

Duranta repens - also known as golden dewdrop is beautiful when covered with racemes of deep purple flowers with white edging. I asked about pruning after each flush of blooms and was told that the berries are equally as beautiful and loved by birds, etc. Next year I prune. These are the berries.

More promise!! There's a faint blush on all the oranges now - with a few overeager ones getting downright orange. These are the sweetest, most tender orange I've ever tried. The neighbor who owns this particular tree hasn't ever picked or eaten any of his oranges. I'm thrilled.

The purple lantana is beautiful and blooms nearly 12 months of the year. Unfortunately for me, the sunny side of the fence is on the neighbor's side and most of the blooms are presented to him. Its always covered with assorted butterflies.

My faithful helper - unless a motorcycle goes by - or I cough - He thinks he's at least a rotweiller when it comes to other dogs - NO fear!! but small noises terrify him. He either wants to be IN my lap or next to our bed.

I spent a few hours rearranging the shed out back. Most of the things belong to my husband. Why is it so much easier to deal with other people's chores than your own. I packed up several bags and boxes of things to take to the thrift store or to a tag sale being help as a fundraiser for someone in the hospital. Our neighbor stopped to talk and asked about some of the things. She has tag sales every weekend. SO - all the things filled the back of her mini van and went to her house.

Hans took down the last dead branches left from the hurricanes a few years ago. There was a huge downdraft which broke two very large limbs but we couldn't dislodge them. Apparently they've dried enough so that they came down with just a slight tug. He also cut down all the tiny oak trees that are growing just under our fence. A good job done.

5 Comments:

At 11/09/2006 5:30 AM, Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

Glad you like my site. Oh the poor grasshopper. YOu have some beautiful bushes in your garden.

 
At 11/09/2006 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing to see so much flowering prettiness as we in England are getting ready for winter.

 
At 11/09/2006 6:07 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

I've missed the few nice days we've had lately...working, so I still have fall gardening chores to do. The 2 days I had off were not good gardening weather. We had a chilly Tuesday and a very wet Wednesday.
So I'm envying you your nice weather, not to mention the flowers you're finding!
Does your neighbor let you pick his oranges? I hope so.
I've enjoyed reading what you're up to. That's a cute helper you have :)

 
At 11/10/2006 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just hearing you have those hot temperatures makes me so jealous....Your garden looks so good. I like your solution of soap, vinegar & water to protect your bush--I'll want to try that one next year. Duranta repens--so lovely. Always nice to have a faithful helper in the garden, isn't it? You've been busy outside!

 
At 11/11/2006 2:22 AM, Blogger Alice said...

Glad you're having some cooler weather in which you can get out and really enjoy your garden.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home