Thursday, November 16, 2006

Hard Rains

Everything smells like that wonderful early spring earth as everything begins to thaw. We don't get freezes and thaws, but heavy rains seem to bring that same beautiful smell.

When the skies start out like this in the morning, you know there's going to be a BIG storm. The weather showed really bad storms through the lower Gulf states, just barely touching Florida. Lots of damage from high winds and tornadoes. This time of year we have so many storms because the south is still very warm and the north is already very cold. when the weather patterns stream some of that cold air down south, it creates huge storms.

I love to watch the storm clouds build.. they look like great big squeezable scoops of cotton against the blue skies. They rise like mushrooms till the tops begin to sheer off and then we have thunder storms. We had a little rain during the night, but a very loud thunder storm this morning. Sometimes it rattles the dishes. Fortunately it was very brief with LOTS of rain.

We've been blessed this year as far as storms go. I think we had our quota the last two years. We had no real hurricanes and very little prolonged downpours to cause flooding. I think people are breathing a sigh of relief.

At times the rain is so hard you can't see across the street. Other times its huge, beautiful rain drops. Summer rains are wonderful for being a kid again. My grandchildren provided so many opportunities to 'play' in the rain. Now that they are all grown, I either have to take full responsibility or just plead second childhood. My daughter Lisa has a privacy fence and spends many rains 'indulging'.

I love how digital cameras capture the big drops mid air.. the water was just streaming off the jatropha. Everything looks and feels so refreshed after a hard rain. We've had a lot of fairly windy, dry days and dust and dirt covers so many of the leaves. Now they've had a bath.

I'm hoping the rain wasn't hard enough to harm my cassia. It has so many buds of promise. I'd like it to last long enough for my new camera to get here. I am SO excited. It has all the features I thought I wanted. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!

6 Comments:

At 11/16/2006 10:59 AM, Blogger Sigruns German Garden said...

Linda, your photos are wonderful. I like this red colour in the sky so much!

Sigrun

 
At 11/17/2006 2:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing photographs of that rain, I could do with you here right now to capture a moment for me - it's raining so hard that as the drops hit the ground they bounce right back up again.

 
At 11/19/2006 3:20 AM, Blogger LindaD said...

Like the song goes.. I love a rainy --- day. Nights are okay, but I love to watch the wind blow the rain, love the big heavy downpours..We get very few long rains I think there is too much volume in regular rains.. long rains means flooding.

 
At 11/20/2006 6:30 AM, Blogger Alice said...

Although I quite like thunderstorms at night, I don't like the damage that storms or even very heavy rain and hail can do.

We so desperately need long, steady, soaking rains over so much of Australia, although heavy rains are welcome to fall over the water catchment areas.

Your photos are wonderful. Looking forward to seeing what the new camera can do, too.

 
At 11/21/2006 7:23 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

Gosh, if you can take such lovely pictures with the camera you have now, what treats are in store for us when you have the new one? Those skies are so vibrant and I love the photo of the rain. We've had a dusting of snow for the past two days. Nothing that stuck though. I'm glad you've been spared the nasty storms. Hope it will continue that way.
I simply love the cassia. I hope it last for you.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

 
At 11/25/2006 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo, that rain is really something.
Let me tell you, we get our share here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home