Saturday, April 07, 2007

Spring Color

These first few images were found in a surprising place - Walmart's Garden Shop. This type of flower lasts here during the cold weather and in spots where they only receive morning sun. The sun in winter is even strong enough to shorten their life.
T

They are so beautiful and such a whiff of spring. We have friends who are still insulated by snow, longing for those first spring blooms.







We have had a few pots of tulips, some paper white narcissus.. which were beautifully fragrant and are awaiting blooms on a hyacinth and some crocus. They weren't prechilled so had to 'sleep' in the refrigerator for several weeks. Its about time to bring them out and enjoy their bright spot of color and spring smells.




I don't know what these purple leaved plants are. They stand about 4' tall and are such a bright spot in the shade.

There are so many orchids in the trees in people's yards and in all the parks.. all in the shade.. I don't know the names, but we're planning to find a few more orchids to put into our trees. Hans bought me a phaelenopsis orchid over 12 years ago for an anniversary - its still blooming and has had 'many babies'. This year it had nearly 100 blooms.. We've been waiting for the blooms to be done to separate and repot the mother plant. On nearly each blooming stem it forms a new plant and those newly formed plants have flower stalks with their own set of blossoms.. Altogether a wonderful investment.

The amaryllis are in bloom right now - again one bulb from another long ago anniversary outdoes itself each year. Its been in the same pot for nearly 10 years and last year I put it into a larger pot on advice of an internet amaryllis society. The bulb is huge and one stalk alone had 6 massive flowers already. The second stalk is about to open its beautiful flowers. I planted some last year and they bloomed, but far fewer have buds this year. The Amarylis society says that they tend to dig themselves into the ground and don't bloom as well because they become too deep in the soil. I think we'll be digging and potting all those bulbs during this summer.

Today feels like a winter day - only 43 last night and less than seventy in the shade during the day. Another cold night tonight and another fresh springlike day tomorrow.

I hope all that I know have a beautiful Easter tomorrow - its such a time of renewal and new beginnings...

7 Comments:

At 4/08/2007 11:48 AM, Blogger Midlife Mom said...

Hi, I'm glad you stopped by my site to say hello! I love all the pictures of flowers that you have. I can't wait till summer so I have some to share, not just snow pictures! ha! Am wondering where you lived in Maine, I am in central Maine about half way up. We love it here but do manage to get away to the sunny south or west several times a year to get a good dose of sunshine. Stop by again soon. Hope you are having a wonderful Easter this weekend! (My parents are in Florida in Z-hills.)

 
At 4/11/2007 1:57 PM, Blogger Bored Insomniac said...

Beautiful Pictures!

 
At 4/12/2007 10:16 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

Oh thank you for these lovely tulip pics! I can't wait to see our tulips. But first the daffodils. The crocus are staying closed and looking "grumpy" with the snow today.
Lucky you to have such a prolific orchid. My mum used to grow them in her gum trees...all sizes and shapes.
And your amaryllis are magnificent! How lucky you are to have such beauties.
I hope you had a wonderful Easter!
xox
PS I wish I could be more help to you, but it looks like you're doing fine!

 
At 4/22/2007 11:50 AM, Blogger Ladyseashells said...

So pretty & colorful. Great picture, thanks for sharing!

 
At 4/30/2007 2:39 AM, Blogger Sigrun said...

Hi Linda, Spring in your garden? Nice tulips with heavy colours. Where are you? Nothing new to read. Are you outside?

Sigrun

 
At 4/30/2007 8:01 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Hi Linda,

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - Simply Susan! I've been dropping in for a visit to your blog occasionally and noticed you hadn't posted since December, and I was hoping that all was okay with you. Glad to see you are back!

 
At 7/30/2011 6:14 AM, Blogger Ali said...

So pretty & colorful. Great picture
flowers...asspecially the tulips on flowers are pretty!!!!

waoo!!!

send gifts to pakistan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home