Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Silent Night, Holy Night

Daisy Lupin
has invited anyone to share a Christmas memory on her site. There are already some wonderful memories posted by others at http://catsinthekitchenflorainthegarden.blogspot.com/.

One of the most wonderful memories at Christmastime happened when we lived on a farm in Maine. We'd never lived on a farm and this one had an 1800's 2 story cape code house with a 30 foot shed attached from to back leading to a huge barn with an open center and hay lofts down either side.

My husband divided the areas under the hay lofts into 3 parts on each side. One for the rabbit cages, one for the cow and calf, one for the pigs on one side and on the other, chickens, pony, and milking goats. Because the temperatures would hover around zero during the coldest months, he had sliding openings from the center of the barns into each section.

Each time I would go into the barn on the day before Christmas there was an odd sense of expectancy. I went out late in the evening and opened the large sliding doors to watch the bright crisp clear moon.. There was such a hush in the barn.. when I looked around all the animals were at their openings quietly looking out toward the sky.

Nothing eventful happened, but I can still feel that overwhelming peace that filled that barn. God's word says that if no one praises Him, even the rocks will cry out. I wonder if in some way animals aren't aware of God as their maker. That was such a special, wonderful night. May that peace touch everyone during this time when we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.

4 Comments:

At 12/21/2006 12:16 PM, Blogger Alice said...

Linda, I was spellbound reading that beautiful remembrance of a very special Christmas moment. That is one of the most touching accounts of true Christmas I've ever read.

I truly wish you and your family such a blessed Christmas this year.

 
At 12/22/2006 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me that there is a legend that all the animals speak on Christmas Eve. What do they say?
"Christ is born", merry Christmas.

 
At 12/24/2006 10:27 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

Linda, wishing you a wonderful Christmas with your family. I'm racing the clock here and need to get some sleep. Will be back to read this post next week! xoxox

 
At 12/26/2006 6:05 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

Linda, such a beautiful memory and I love the way you've written it. Thanks so much for sharing. I can picture you catching your breath in wonder as you watched the amazing scene under that crisp clear moon. What a blessing!
I hope you had a wonderful Christmas day. xox

 

Post a Comment

<< Home