Sunday, November 26, 2006

Here Comes Christmas

Each year when Christmas approaches, my heart is more turned to the 'Christmas Story' and the birth of Jesus Christ... To me its a wonderful time for celebrating all the things for which you are grateful-- especially the shared love with your family, old friends and the joy of new friends. I'm especially thankful to have found this world of people who share their gardens, thoughts, lives and pictures. I can't wait to check and see if someone has new pictures, a new post. It delights me when someone comes to 'visit' me.

It seems like my Christmas spirit for decorating etc is biennial. One year it blooms, the other its rather dormant. I think this is the dormant year. LOL Last year my daughter gave me the most lifelike tree I've seen in a long time. They do have living trees for Florida Christmas trees, but if I'm going to the trouble of putting one up, decorating it, its staying till I'm REALLY tired of it. One year my oldest grandson went home to his mother and told her he was worried about Grandma... my tree was still up in March. I'd taken off the ornaments and other decorations, but left the lights. It was still wonderful to turn the lights on and enjoy them a bit each night. A real tree would be totally needle-bare by then. I've offered the big beautiful tree to a friend of my daughter who has 3 teenagers, some health problems and a husband who is threatening to leave. Lisa said she cried when she offered her the tree. You never know the desire of someone's heart, but God knows.

This smaller tree was much better for us.. storage wasn't nearly as difficult as the large one. Someone gave me an artificial ficus tree not long ago and I'm considering endowing it with lights and perhaps ornaments this year. Our get togethers as family are usually at our older daughter's house, so essentially the Christmas decorations are just for my husband and I.. and this year I don't feel like putting it up and taking it down.

We noticed when we first moved here that people go all out decorating outside. I think its to make up for the lack of snow. Some of the displays are incredible. President of the electric company smiles a lot this time of year! Most people down here put the 'icycle lights along the eves and simply leave them there all year long. After a while people don't notice them.. and all you have to do is get out the extension cord when its time. One neighbor has beautiful trees set up and decorated all over her yard... string of lights through the trees and outlining her house. She has more energy than anyone else I know.

I have bunches of glass bulbs waiting for a paintbrush.. but without a tree, it seems to be pointless to keep painting. I think I have about two dozen ornaments painted and only one has seen the tree! I think I thought if I painted them, courage would come to sell them. LOL. It never happens. more smiling. Last year one daughter and I did some paper mache things.. ornaments mostly. This was formed over an egg and was supposed to be Mrs Claus. LOL. When I see others decorations, or see some of the things people show on their blogs, it rekindles a bit of that desire to 'make SOMETHING'.

Something we don't have that I would like is poinsettias. They are perennial here and with some pinching they become covered with hundreds of bright red bracts on 4 foot plants. Absolutely beautiful!....

3 Comments:

At 11/27/2006 10:29 AM, Blogger Sigruns German Garden said...

Linda, your Decoration is beautiful!

Sigrun

 
At 12/03/2006 5:23 PM, Blogger Urban Agrarian said...

Oh, that penguin one is so cute!

 
At 12/11/2006 5:50 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

linda, these Christmas balls are wonderful! I assume you painted them??? Wow! What a talent you have! I hope you decide to put them on a tree...any tree! They should definitely be displayed.
I'm behind with my decorating...still writing cards. That wretched raccoon set me back several days! We're still keeping the cats confined in the milkhouse each night. So far no more losses, thank The Lord!
I especially love that tree in the first photo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home